Saturday, October 25, 2008

China For Sale

Ni Men Hao!

I am here in Beijing now, only having arrived here in the last few hours, and I notice and believe now above all that if the price is right(and the price is ALWAYS right) the Chinese will sell you just about anything. Whether it be something their "great grandparents made"(YA RIGHT) or a fake Gucci bag, everything you could imagine seems to be for sale here. It is enjoyable and comical, and I deffinately know more then a few people who would find their shopping paradise here.

For a while I thought that it might be a Shanghai thing, seeing as I did not feel it as predominately during my Silk Road trip, but being here in Beijing, which has a much more Chinese feel to it then Shanghai does, I realize that this thrill of buying and selling things to whoever will pay attention to you is truly a phenomon across all of this country.

Now that I am here in Beijing I intend to do alot of sightseeing, including Tienamen, The Forbidden City, and maybe the Great Wall(Though I saw it in JiaYuGuan once already). As well there are many local temples and towers that are very old and very near to my hostel. Which is in a very old Beijing neighborhood with many interesting souvenier shops(so email me if you want anything specific). The only other thing I am really looking forward to is a place here is Beijing called Tim's BBQ run by a man from South Texas that is apparently very authentic.

Other then that I think I will end this blog with a quote from a woman in a TeaShop in Shanghai that I think sums up much of the Chinese spirit..."Come Back. Bring Friends. Bring Money!"

1 comment:

Jess West said...

while you're there you've got to check out the yanghe lamasery (yanghe gong). i hope i've got that name right, it's been a year and half, it's a working tibetan monastery and was by far my favorite place in beijing. also, if you go there, there's a noodle place you have to try. if you're looking at the front entrance to the lamasery you turn right and shouldn't go much more than a couple of blocks before you see a noodle place on your left. I believe it has xian (west and peace) in the name, and possibly mina (noodles). those are the best noodles i've ever eaten in china. we were there for 4 days and went back twice.

have fun!